Cape accommodation options vary from luxury hotels and guesthouses to B&B’s and backpackers, and in between all of that there also fantastic camping and caravan spots available. Here are some of the top camping spots in Cape Town, and surrounding areas, that any camping fan shouldn’t miss.
- The Elgin Hills Tented Camp is wonderful for anyone who wants to be near a river with gorgeous views Elgin’s mountainous landscape. Situated about 70km (+/- 1 ½ hrs) from Cape Town, this scenic camping spot offers campers en-suit tents with beds.
- Beaverlac is one of the top family camping and caravan spots. Situated 2-3 hours outside of Cape Town, this large, secluded camping area makes for the perfect family camping trip. With natural rock pools, waterfalls, nature walks, and a small shop you will want your trip to last forever.
- Imhoff Park, situated about 40 minutes from Cape Town, is a relaxed, well-run, and beautifully situated camping and caravan site. With 80 camping spots, all with power outlets, showers, a kids play area, as well as toilet facilities, you will be able to “rough it” and enjoy some home luxuries.
- Table Mountain National Park Camp Sites offers campers tented camp areas, which are scattered from Signal Hill through Hout Bay and to Ou Kaapse Weg – all areas boasting breath-taking views and natural surroundings. From tented accommodation to eco-friendly timber “rooms”, there is something for everyone, and many activities are available too.
- The Palmiet Caravan Park, situated about 90 minutes from Cape Town in Kleinmond, is a large seaside caravan site and is ideal for those who love hiking, swimming, bird watching, and canoeing. Bathroom facilities are available as well as electricity, and if you are lucky, you might even spot a whale or two.
These 5 caravan and camping spots are just a small example of what you can find in Cape Town and its surrounding areas. Whether you are looking for a more luxurious camping experience or something more traditional, Cape Town has it all! For more Cape Town camping and caravan sites, click here.
Klara Loots, founder of Lotus Media (and a proud Capetonian), is a freelance writer for many online businesses, from fashion and décor to travel, tourism and business.